Friday, June 5, 2009

Why is the LGBT community so divided?

Here is a response that I wrote to a blog about "Segregation in the local gay community". The blog is about how F.L. White(writer/spoken word artist) moved from New York to Charlotte, NC and he did not understand why there is a need to have both Pride Charlotte and NC Black Pride.


NC Black pride does cater to minorities because we seem to be a more urban demographic that is always excluded from mainstream gay or heterosexual. But I want to be involved in Pride Charlotte as an African American woman. But due to recent events I would rather be around people I feel more comfortable with than be around people who I feel look down upon me. I call NC Black Pride home because outside of this I have no home in the Gay Community. I am a minority within a minority. I wish I could put that behind me and just have fun but I can’t because it is constantly thrown in my face. This should not be about race but living in the south the race issue does not go away. Gay or heterosexual. If you are not stereotypically gay and you are white you fit into mainstream society and for some reason you have the upper hand in the LGBT community. You are the majority and should make us feel welcomed not just during pride to get us to be civilized for a brief period of time. I feel it as being hypocrytical that during the rest of the year we do not exist but during pride we are supposed to be one big fake happy family. That is not right and rather unfair. I feel accepted by my minority LGBT community and not used when it is to feed someone’s selfish benefits. I love and care about so much but if this only matters to the majority during pride than I want no part in any of this at all.


Matt


http://blog.q-notes.com/fl-white/entry/segregation-in-the-local-gay-community/comment-page-1/#comment-1614



Okay I am a very controversial character I know that and I know I can be very defensive as well when it comes to sensitive issues. But the issue at hand is Why is the LGBT community so divided? My last post was about "Since when was Barack Obama the savior of homosexuals?" (now closed sorry all again) I asked this question not because I am a supporter of Barack Obama or any other reasons. I am just a supporter of equality point blank plain and simple. If we attack one person we should attack all. If not that is just being deceptive and misleading. Hold everyone accountable for their actions not just him. That was my whole point and I thought it was a valid point until it turn haywire and people started personally attacking one another for their opinions. I thought that this is what made us human we are different if we all thought and had the same demeanour we would be robots w/o personalities to call our own and their would be nothing to complain about in the end. I don't want to be a robot I like being different everyone is different and special in their own way. Why can't we find the beauty in our differences and come together as family? Not one big fake dysfunctional family, but one that can tolerate and accept others for who they are as people no matter ones differences.
I know personally I feel terrible when I see us so divided and attacking one another because that sends other generations the wrong message. I know Harvey Milk, Audre Lorde, Bayard Rustin, Pat Parker, and so many others are looking at us right now like we are complete fools and I honestly can not blame them.

http://www.afterellen.com/node/51768

No comments:

Post a Comment